Monday, March 30, 2020

What about outside intervention?!



 Any time I think of a therapy session, I automatically think, okay... I am about to sit in a room for an hour or so and do some activities that the therapist says to do and go about my day. But wait. What if someone made it a little more interesting and engaging… what about the idea of conducting the intervention outside in nature itself? I personally think this is a great idea and a great way for extra motivation during a therapy session. Of course, I was not the one to come up with this idea. I listened to a podcast by Amy Seymore (2017), and she explained not only the idea of “nature-based therapy”, but the importance of it and how it has such a positive impact on clients, especially in pediatrics.

For me, even as an adult, I would much rather be outside and enjoying nature, so I really love the kind of intervention that Amy Seymore practices. She explains that using the things that we use outside, promotes realistic results because it is not simulated in the same ways it would be inside the clinic. For kids, it also promotes motivation especially when asking the right questions during intervention and guiding them through appropriate and effective activities. Amy also said that this specific therapy benefits kids with sensory processing disorders and attention deficit disorders which I thought was interesting because it almost seems like a tailor-made intervention which is what OT’s always keep in mind. Using branches, streams, mud piles, sticks, rocks, and the plethora of objects that are in nature are great, tangible resources for building sensory skills. Using this kind of therapy still tests all the same things as it would inside the clinic but uses a different environmental stimulus and physical context. As a future OT practitioner, I am definitely going to keep this practice in mind.


Resource
Seymore, A. (Host). (2017, September 10). Nature-Based Therapy [Audio podcast episode]. In Glass Half Full. Sofo Studios. https://glasshalffullot.com/podcast/nature-based-therapy/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thomas' Tourette's

I watched a Ted Talk about a guy named Thomas White who has Tourette's Syndrome. I highly recommend anyone to watch this video as he exp...