Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Let's Get Moving!


The order for restoring confidence in mobility as activity demands increase are these listed in order: bed mobility, mat transfer, wheelchair transfer, bed transfer, functional ambulation for ADL, toilet & tub transfer, car transfer, functional ambulation for community mobility, and community mobility & driving. I think the hierarchy is in this specific sequence because it allows a client to work and build on more basic and lower level skills (but imperative) in order to achieve higher level and more complex skills for everyday life for them to become more independent in their daily living. Their quality of life depends on it, so I agree with the lay order. I think of it as building blocks, and the more basic skills and activities, like taking care of yourself are the foundation, and like a house you build off the foundation. When you are able to take care of yourself it not only allows for independence, but as well as giving a person the ability to take care of others, or (like driving) being aware of yourself and others.

In my past observations, I never got to see this progression in mobility although I think that is the best part of therapy almost. I saw progress in different clients, but not to the degree of this type of regaining of confidence and independence in mobility. I do think that every person is different, and when you have one client who may not be in any worse of a medical situation but is more emotional or emotionally stable I do think that can impact progression in these steps.

I would love to see this type of progression in a client in the future, and honestly it is this type of impact on a client that I am eager to assist with in my profession as an OT.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thomas' Tourette's

I watched a Ted Talk about a guy named Thomas White who has Tourette's Syndrome. I highly recommend anyone to watch this video as he exp...