Friday, May 29, 2020

Body Mechanics


Reasons to teach people/clients about proper body mechanics and posture are very important and include:
1.       Prevent injuries to the body such as muscle, joints, etc.
2.       Protect your body from back pain and or other parts from strain  
3.       Promote ideal balance and coordination
4.       Encourage safety for yourself and others

One way that I would teach a client on how to use proper body mechanics is by using something straight like a yard stick or something, and aligning it on my back along my spine, back of my head, and tail bone (to show them, and later allow them to try), and I will demonstrate how to properly pick a package up from the ground without bending over like most people do which is not proper body mechanics. The idea is that the stick stays on all those areas that I explained, and you lift with your legs when you grab the object from the ground.

Another way that I could show a client how to use proper body mechanics is informing on how to improve posture when sitting in a chair especially for long periods of time if that is your job. So, first adjust the height of the chair where your feet are nicely planted on the floor, and your knees are either in line or slightly lower than your hips (comfortably). Obviously sit straight up in the chair, and your hips all the way back in the chair as well. Lastly, the back of the chair needs to be slightly inclined also. This will reduce back pain, and promote good posture!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thomas' Tourette's

I watched a Ted Talk about a guy named Thomas White who has Tourette's Syndrome. I highly recommend anyone to watch this video as he exp...