Sunday, July 26, 2020

Mentioning Dementia

I watched this Ted Talk by a woman named Beth Malone. A very sincere, and real talk about her father’s dementia. She explained that her father was in the later stages of dementia (a neuro degenerative disease) and was no longer able to care for himself as he needed anymore. So, he was brought into a care facility that would help him daily. Beth said that this was not a place where he would have delighted in with a sound mind, or a lack of better words that he would normally reside in prior to his dementia. Because of this, she felt compelled to take him from his misery, however, she knew she really could not do this for him. Instead she decided to keep her father/daughter dynamic and roles and just be there for him. During this video, you’ll notice she holds back tears on several occasions, and I remind myself that even though we treat client last specifically, these personal family accounts or perspectives of their loved ones remind me that empathy is such a huge part of this profession, not only for the client but their loved ones. Each person may be affected differently as well, and it is important to remain mindful of everyone’s feelings in a situation as sad as dementia is in any state or form, early or late. I am so passionate about the importance of considering others feelings in what you are doing, and I believe that is why I am meant for OT. Dementia is a very tough journey not just for a client but to anyone who is involved and especially has a close relationship with them. Empathy is just about everything.








https://www.ted.com/talks/beth_malone_how_my_dad_s_dementia_changed_my_idea_of_death_and_life

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thomas' Tourette's

I watched a Ted Talk about a guy named Thomas White who has Tourette's Syndrome. I highly recommend anyone to watch this video as he exp...